01 August 2013

Swimsuit Attempt #1

After finding about 3 metres of this yellow lycra for $2 at the op shop the other week, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to practice sewing some bathers for my daughter, who was in desperate need of a new pair. (winter swimming lessons here!)

I searched for any free patterns (as ya do) and found Zaaberry's Free Girl's Swimsuit pattern, available in size five only. Just what I needed. 



Excuse the shocking photos.... the stitching is almost as shocking (no yellow thread in my stash) but for my first ever attempt at bathers, I think it turned out well!
I added to the seam allowance to make the sizing slightly bigger for my taller than average 5 year old and it fits.

I learnt a lot about the construction of sewing a swimsuit and have enough fabric leftover to try again.
I also saw Zaaberry has a 2 - piece swimsuit tutorial and pattern now. YAY!

All this swimsuit sewing is leading to my future attempt at sewing a Bombshell Swimsuit of my very own! Of course I could be biting off more than I can chew since by the time summer comes round here I'll have a newborn to contend with as well.

Any tips on sewing swimsuits?
Or you're thinking of trying the Bombshell too? Which has a sew-a-long don't forget!

2 comments:

  1. Nice job on this one...you must have some left over too with 3 meters? Maybe you can make more for the girls when summer comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes plenty left so I'm going to have to make a pair for daughter #2. Can't wait to see your bombshell btw! :)

      Delete