12 August 2013

Inspired by: Anthropologie Lace Popover

I love those people who can see something in store or online and not just say "I could make that!" but actually DO go and make their own version. It's something I've never done, but wish I could figure it out to try.

Aaaaaaand theeeeeeen?

Then, I spied this pretty little shirt on Anthropologie. I adored the cute peek-a-boo of lace and had just finished a top using lace with some leftover, waiting to be put to use.

{source}

{source}

Isn't it just darling? I thought about it for a day and had a few ideas.
I didn't want to make a shirt because it's not my style at the moment and I've had no experience sewing a shirt yet. But I had just made my third Scoop Top and knew it was going to fit.







The fabric was a drape-y op shop purchase which doesn't seem to crease at all. The original pattern is for knit but I took a chance and used a woven and perhaps should have added more to the seam allowance as it's a bit of a squeeze but hopefully not too bad post baby.

I created a back yoke and a centre back seam in the lower back piece so I could accommodate the lace. I gathered the lace and eye-balled it when it came to sewing it in. So it's a bit off centre but that's ok. I omitted the tab to make life easier.

I'm not sure how much of the lace will peek-a-boo in this version when it is worn by a real person but hopefully it's fun enough to wear over the summer and be breastfeeding friendly too.

12 comments:

  1. Looks great! Love the pop of lace at the back...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Judith! :)

      Delete
  2. OMG this is SOOO cute! Your inspiration is great, and I love how you translated it into this more casual scoop tee - love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it Sally. I'm looking forward to fitting into it too. ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh, that is adorable Jacinta I love it!! The little froth of contrasting fabric is unexpected and gorgeous. It's always nice to have something visually interesting at the back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Cazza! It *is* fun to have something unexpected back there actually. Thanks. :)

      Delete
  4. Cute detail! You gave me an idea to try the scoop top using woven. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No probs. Hope your woven version turns out nicely. :)

      Delete
  5. Love the detail at the back! I'm thinking it is perfect for breastfeeding. And definitely try a shirt pattern one day :) I just did and it was very satisfying. Not long to go! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosi! I will try a shirt pattern one day, but looking forward to seeing yours soon. Yep, 2 more weeks give or take. Yikes! :)

      Delete
  6. It´s simply perfect, I love it! It has to look nice on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea and well done on the execution - it looks really good! I am a major shirt wearer and I think I will borrow the Anthro idea too :)

    ReplyDelete